For meditation newbies, we've put together a list of things to remember as you get started and try to stick to regular practice.
- Meditation requires mainly that you be present in the moment. Sounds simple right? But many find quieting the brain to be a challenge. The best way to attain this mindfulness is practice.
- The beginning is the most challenging. Understand that your brain needs a little practice and gentle training until meditating becomes second nature.
- Your mind will wander. The key is to bring your mind back to center. Go easy with it.
- Even a few minutes a day will make a difference. If you're sitting on a train or waiting for an appointment, these lulls are the perfect opportunities to give meditation a go.
- Find assistance in the form of a class, app, website or podcast. Getting help will help answer questions and help you divert your energy from wondering if you're doing it right.
- Speaking of which, there's no true right or wrong way to meditate (like much in life). Do what works best for you and understand some days will be easier or harder than others (like much in life).
Meditation is a truly worthwhile endeavor that'll help you be a better version of yourself. The practice helps diminish stress, improves sleep quality and brings a sense of well-being to many parts of your life.
How long have you been meditating? What helps you practice regularly?